Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello -- what are the chances of bringing a maid with me from

Hello -- what are the chances of bringing a maid with me from Singapore to the UK when i return? The maid has been working for me for six years. Thanks, Mike.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that it’s not likely that you will be able to do this.

The domestic worker provisions are in place for overseas employers to come to the UK for visits (ie. no longer than 6 month periods in any 12 month period total):-

If you proposed to return to the UK and for the UK to be your permanent residence then she would not be permitted to apply under these provisions. If you did attempt to apply then the application would be rejected and the UKBA would retain the application fee.

Other working visas are extremely restricted at the moment. She could not apply for the most common one, a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa, because there is a salary threshold fo £20k and in addition you would have to show that there is no other worker in the UK’s labour force to carry out the role at the salary offer and plainly there would be many who would.

I am very sorry but this is not really a possibility.,

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,