How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there, My friend came from India on Tier-2 (Minister

This answer was rated:

Hello there,

My friend came from India on Tier-2 (Minister of Religion) visa and is going to complete 5 years next month. However his wife of 10 years and children stayed in India and only joined him in UK in May 2012 as his dependents. My friend is going to apply for his Indefinite Leave next month. Can his wife (and children) too apply along with him and be granted Indefinite Leave? Whatever be your answer please back it up by citing relevant Immigration Rules / law.

Thank you.

Were his children born outside the UK please?

His wife has spent no time at all in the UK, apart from when she came here in May 2012. Correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She and their children have been living with him in India before he came to UK approx five years ago. She and their children have been living in UK from may 2012 with him.


If wife and children cannot be granted indefinite leave (why and which rukes?), what is their options?


Whatever be your answer kindly back it up by citing relevant Immigration Rules / law.





Thanks for your patience.

Neither the children or the wife would be eligible for ILR at the same time as the husband. In order to be eligible for ILR a person (regardless of whether they are married to a person holding ILR) must have a period of residence in the UK.

For a spouse of a UK national or person holding ILR this is now 5 years if they obtained a spouse visa after 9 July 2012:-

If the person is in a work category that is eligible for settlement then they must also have a 5 year residence period, in the same way that the husband does. You will see from “Can your dependents apply for settlement” on the following link that this is confirmed:-
You will note that for dependents to apply both THEY and the husband would have to meet the requirements in terms of residence.

So, they cannot apply now even if the husband does because they do not meet the residence requirements.

Once the husband has obtained ILR his immigration status will change from a Tier 2 visa holder to simply a person who holds ILR (a person who is “settled in the UK”) Here is the link for persons who are the partners of UK citizens or persons settled in the UK:-

Therefore the wife must change her status because she would no longer be the dependent of a Tier 2 visa holder. Therefore, she must apply for Further Leave to Remain as the spouse of a

She and the children will have to apply once he has ILR using form FLR(M) as you will see from the following link:-

I am very sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

The link you have given for 'Can your dependants apply for settlement?' does not cite any immigration rules! Can you please cross relate it to the immigration rule number?

Can his wife apply after completing 2 years or 5 years as she had come here as his dependent in May 2012 and that she has to change her status from the dependent of the workpermit holder to the dependent of ILR holder?




The requirements for ILR is you are a family member of a a points-based system migrant (ie. tier 2 minster of religion) are at immigration rule 319E:-

You will see therefore at (d) that the period of residence is required (which she does not have)

Therefore she will have to apply for ILR once she has switched to being the spouse of a person holding ILR (ie. settled) under immigratoin rule 287:-

However, because she will be effect be applying as the spouse of a person holding ILR after 9th July 2012 she will be eligible according to the appendix FM provisions and in respect of the 5 year period at "Section E-ILRP: Eligibility for indefinite leave to remain as a partner" on the following link:-

Please rate my answer now.


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.