How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been living since september 2003,i got married to are british

This answer was rated:

Ive been living since september 2003,i got married to are british national in august 2011,we been together for 2yrs and we decided to get married,now my husband has changed and he said that he wont be taking any part in my application for indefinite leave which i need to apply for this september.i dont know what to do and if being im this country for so long and being from the caribbean would help my application

When did you switch to your spouse visa please?

Will your husband divorce you?

Do you have any children of the marriage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i switch october 2011 we dont have any children.he has mention about getting are but he has acted on the getting one.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that you are in a very difficult position and it very much depends on what your husband decides to do.

If he informs the UKBA that he considers that you are separated then the UKBA will probably curtail your visa and advise you that your leave to remain in the UK has been cancelled.

You need to avoid him writing to inform them while you both figure out what to do.

Obviously you cannot apply for ILR on the basis of 2 years on a spouse visa unless he supports it.

Similarly, if you were to apply for ILR on the basis of long residence of leave to remain for 10 years you would also need your husband to support the application because a two year period counting towards the ten year total is on the basis that you are in a married relationship with your husband.

If you are able to reconcile with your husband so that you both consider that you are still in a genuine married relationship then you can still apply for ILR if he supports it. You may considering focussing on this with your husband and appealing to his feelings for you. You have to see if you are able to do this knowing him as you do.

If you honestly believe that he will not support your application for ILR then you may consider attempting to switch to another category of visa so that your leave to remain is continued and you can potentially make an application for ILR on the basis of 10 years legal leave to remain.

If he does inform the UKBA of your marriage breakdown and you cannot switch in to another category, then you may consider instructing a solicitor to make a discretionary application for leave to remain outside the immigration rules. This is a long shot and you would effectively be arguing that you should be given leave to remain on the basis that it would be unreasonable to expect you to return to your home country to adjust socially and emotionally. However, if you do not have any children here and are an otherwise intelligent indepdent adult then I’m afraid it’s going to be very difficult to proceed with a discretionary application.

I am very sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.