How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXX Date of Birth; 26/2/64 Are my

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX
Date of Birth; 26/2/64

Are my daughters able to acquire British Passports?
I was born in Scotland 1964, was 3 years old when I arrived in Australia on my mothers passport. I am a resident, not a citizen in Australia and have a British Passport.

I did not formally marry the mother of my daughters, who are now aged 18 and 19.

Their birth dates are;



They both hold Australian passports.


Where were your daughters born please, Australia?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes , both in Australia.


Thanks Tom

Hi David,

I've just left for work, may I answer in an hour please?


Thanks for your patience.

Both of the children are automatically UK citizens under the British Nationality Act 1981. This is because you were born in the UK before 1983, which means that you are “British Otherwise than by Descent”.

This means that you may pass your citizenship on to such of your own children that are born outside the UK. They will acquire “UK citizenship by descent”, which means that they have all the same rights as you except that they would not automatically be able to pass their UK citizenship on to any of their own children that are born outside the UK. If their children are born in the UK then they too will be UK citizens.

They may apply for UK passports in the normal way.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much for your help Tom, one query.


So the fact that I never married the girls mother have no bearing on the above advice?



Hi David,

No, it would have made a difference if they had been born before 1983, when the BNA1981 came in to force but it does not make a difference now.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I shall. Wink


Great stuff, Tom.


Thanks Kiss

No problem.

Please do rate my answer David, you have not yet.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions