How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tier 4 visa got expired on 30th Jan 2013. I am in tier 4

This answer was rated:

My tier 4 visa got expired on 30th Jan 2013. I am in tier 4 grace period. Is there any chance to switch in to any other category such as tier 2 or even tier 4 dependent while continuously staying in UK? Also I had some interviews scheduled in this grace period and I got an offer from one o them so I am keen to know about the possibility of switching into tier 2 or any other working visa.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid not, no.

I think you have misunderstood the “period of grace” that you refer to. This is not a period afforded to you so that you can find another immigration category to switch in to. Instead, it is a period of time afforded to you to give you the opportunity to leave the UK within 28 days so that you do not become regarded as an overstayer for the purpose of future applications.

If you left within 28 days of your visa expiring then the UKBA could not in the future reject visa applications on this basis. If you stayed in the UK beyond the 28 days then they could automatically reject your future visa applications or, at least, all those that were not based on a family relationship.

If you were to apply to switch in to another visa category or extend your current visa it would be immediately rejected and the fee withheld. They only time you would be able to extend your visa at all is if there were applicable exceptional circumstances. These are usually where you had a health condition which meant that to remove you might severely prejudice your health.

I am very sorry but I think you’re going to have to return home to make the new application.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions