Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my girlfriend is separated from a portuguese citizen and about

my girlfriend is separated from a portuguese citizen and about this relationship she got her portuguese nationality, now she is brazilian/portuguese, so now she is legaly divorced in Brazil, can I marry with her here in uk with a translated divorces documentation from Brazil or she need to divorce in Portugal as well?

Has she obtained her Portugese passport?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, everything...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has portuguese passport and portuguese Id card, birth certificate from there as well...

Thanks for your patience.

The requirements for the divorce granted in Brazil to be regarded as being valid in the UK are contain in s46(1) of the Family Law Act 1986:-

You will see the criteria outlined in the above link.

Therefore, provided that the divorce granted in Brazil was effective legally to divorce them in Brazil and your fiancé was a Brazilian citizen at the time of the divorce then the divorce will be regarded as legally binding in the UK.

Therefore, she is free to marry once she is able to prove her identity and her divorce by having the divorce documentation translated.

You will be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,