Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my Russian friend (currently lives in Russia) was born in London,

my Russian friend (currently lives in Russia) was born in London, UK before 1983. His parents were working here, not diplomats. Is he entitled for British passport?

May I answer tomorrow please? At 9 in the morning.

What nationality were his parents please?

Tom
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Yes, if a person was born in the UK before 1983 then they automatically acquire UK citizenship:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

The only exception to this is where the parents of the child are in the UK as diplomats with diplomatic immunity. Assuming this does not apply to your friend, they will have acquired UK citizenship at birth.

This means that they can apply for a UK passport, by proving their birth in the UK (birth certificate) and their identity.

They will hold UK citizenship otherwise than by descent, which means that they can pass their citizenship on to such of their children that are born outside the UK

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

quick follow up question. can my friend apply in Moscow embassy with his birth cert+ passport or docs need to be sent to Home office or Border Agency UK?

another quick one. who is granting decision on granting citizenship? HOme office or Border agency or any other Body?

many thanks!!

I will answer at 9
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen the answer? is it tech mistake?

I'm very sorry , I will be able to respond on 40 mins..

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did you have a chance to look at my question?

Sorry, she should apply via the Home Office website sectoin on passports:-
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/ips/

Tom