How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please respond quickly! Want to visit/move to London.

This answer was rated:

I want to move to England to be in a civil partnership with my boyfriend. It will still be a few years down the road but I'm afraid my background my stop me. It is very confusing to figure out if my past convictons can be "spent" after a rehabilitation period . So can you tell me realistically if i can move there?

It has been over 5 years since I have been in any trouble 7 by time we are ready for me to move there. Can these covictions keep me from going, or will they be spent

2 x Prostitution sentence 72 days in jail

Malicious destruction of property 72 days in jail and probation

2 x False information to a police officer probation


What nationality is your partner please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

british citizenship by birth. if it matters I man a women and he is a man.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Thanks for your patience.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The spent period for those offences would likely be regarded as 7 years from the date of the convictions.

I would play it safe and disclose the existence of the convictions and explain them in a supporting statement. The supporting statement would advise of any mitigation which helps explain why you carried out these offences and also full details of the rehabilitation that you carried out.

In addition you should speak to persons of authority who know you well and can execute character references which confirm your good character and how you have rehabilitated yourself since you were convicted.

If you are able to do this and otherwise meet the eligibility criteria then you should probably still be okay. However, because of the slightly complicated nature of your past I really would strongly advise you to instruct a solicitor in the UK practising immigration law to draft the application and to collate all the supporting documentation which evidences your eligibility and explains your history. This really is the best advice I can give.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me if UK border agency usually forgive these sort of convictions. How hard are they on popele with a bad past.


If they are satisfied that the marriage is genuine and credible then your human rights tends to get around convictions of this type.

If you do not mitigate (or perhaps even if you do) then it's possible that they will reject the application. This means that you will have to appeal to an immigration appeals tribunal where your evidence gets a much fairer hearing.

You would likely be sucessful on appeal if you are not when you intiially apply.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.