Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

why do people subject to immigration control have to apply

why do people subject to immigration control have to apply for notice of marriage at designated register offices? I am a foreign national with an expired student visa and want to marry my british fiance after just given birth to our daughter. Are we qualify? Would the border agency be informed if I tried to apply for marriage?

It is not just you who have to give notice of your marriage. Every person in the united kingdom who wants to get married must give this notice at a registry office.

Previously a foreign national who was subject to immigration control cut to apply to the united kingdom border agency for a certificate of approval to get married. This has now been abolished as you will see from the following link:

Provided that you are able to prove your identity and your address then a registry office will marry you after you have put your notice of marriage up.

The united kingdom border agency will be informed of the marriage.

If this is useful please kindly accept and rate my answer as okay service or about. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your questions.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does that mean they will know i have overstayed? will i be deported due to this?

Yes, but I know that already. They have a record of everybody's integration history on the computer database.

Getting married simply means that you stand a greater chance of remaining in the united kingdom provided that you meet the eligibility criteria.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what eligibility criteria do you mean?

If you want to secure leave to remain on the basis then you are married to a british citizen can you have to apply for a spouse visa. There are requirements for this.

This is what I mean by eligibility criteria. The requirements are outlined on this page:

Rate my answer now please. You will appreciate that I have answered your original question.

Kind regards.