Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

F.T.O Tom, Hi There ... Another Quick question Could my wife

F.T.O Tom,
Hi There ... Another Quick question
Could my wife still be Allowed "Indefinite Leave to Stay"?
She came to England on a Works Visa in 2008 ( October )

May I answer tomorrow please? 9am

Thanks for your patience.

If your wife has spent all her time in the UK under a Domestic Workers visa granted by the UKBA (ie. as a domestic work in a private household) then the time that she has spent in the UK is permitted to count towards indefinite leave to remain.

Please find confirmation here:-

I would say that if she is to continue working for this couple until she reaches the 5 year period then it would be more sensible to remain in this category (if this is what she has) and apply for indefinite leave to remain then, rather than switch to a spouse visa. T

This is because if she switches to a spouse visa then she would have to stay in the spouse visa category for a further 5 years before applying for indefinite leave to remains as a spouse requires that you have actually held a spouse visa for 5 years.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,