Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i moved to the UK when i was 9 years old, that was 20 years

i moved to the UK when i was 9 years old, that was 20 years ago and i have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and am also married to a British man, i wanted to know if am eligible for a British passport?

Thanks for your patience.

You have to apply for and obtain naturalisation as a UK citizen before you apply for a UK passport.

The requirement for you to naturalise are explaining here on the following UKBA webpage on the eligibility criteria:-

If you meet the above criteria then you can apply. Please note the residential qualifying criteria regarding the amount of time you have spent outside the UK during the previous three years. A great proportion of the rejections are because people have spent too much time outside the UK.

Once you have confirmed your eligibility you should refer to the following page on how to apply and pass the relevant knowledge of life and language in the UK test:-

You will note the application form and guidance notes are available for download on the right hand side of the above link.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,