Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

RA-RP

Customer Question

Changing and updating visa type details, what to do

need to know if my husband has applied to get his visa type changed, and we moved home, what do we need to do.

i suggested we need to send all details of our new house, new bills and up to date finances by letter referring to his application in the letter.

should we be doing anything else?

he is saying he has demanded his information file under foi but as far as i know it, asking for that may delay rather than escalate his application.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert_James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question!

Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you. But in order to get credit for my work, once I've answered your questions, you must give me a rating for the customer service I provide you, and not for the outcome or the state of the law, which I cannot control. Please keep this in mind as we work together.

Is this a US immigration question?

Also, please provide me with all background information and history related to your question, so that I can best assist you with answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This actually relates to the UK immigration law.

thanks for seeking clarity

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What visa is your husband presently on?

When does his visa expire?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His current visa is a work permit with residence which expires in 2015 however he has an option to renew or change category.

When we married, I asked him to change the category rather than delay till when his current one comes close to renewal.

Since we sent off the forms with all our documents, not a squeak.

Worst of all, both of us have given then all our identification documents and educational documents and certificates.

So we are both stumped if we need to do anything that requires a passport or id or our certificates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The main issue i have is that I have said to him, since we moved to our first home together that we need to write to them and let them know we moved,

we have done that.

Additionally we have changed utility suppliers etc and since we got cracking with the paintbrush etc, we finally started to settle.

My suggestion is to write to them and detail all the changes such as our address which we already did but to add details of our utility bills and up to date records relating to our council tax and also give them any up to date tax records especially because I am self employed.

he has been telling me that he will simply ask for his file under FOI however I did some work previously as an OISC supporter when I expolored setting up an OISC partnershiop some years back.

The knowledge I gained then was that asking for info under FOI was not a facilitator for application processing and could sometimes derail and delay the process as paper could be requisitioned from case workers to other departments if electronic records dont meet an FOI request level.

Additionally of course FOI requests are not anything but that, it does not facilitate anything but a response and I don't think they will reply to the request if it does not come from an OISC reg practitioner or from a solicitor.

thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I will answer in an hour.

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

thanks so much for your answer.

But I am so sorry, you misunderstood my enquiry.

The title of the question is kind of scraped short when we post.

It should read

actually you have not answered my question which was that

if we made an application as you outlined in your answer

AND

we then move to our first home from the address that we were renting causing a change to our utillity service providers, address, our other information eg gas electricity and so on should we then write to the UKBA and provide details of all that has changed

eg if we were using scottish power but now use utility warehouse, those details will be out of date

or if our council tax was at a different address, it will now be at a different address than before.

Is it sensible and agreeable to write to them especially if the application is over 6 months old and provide them with the details of our new utililties and reassure them that we are still married

AND

should we remind them that we cannot go on and do a lot of basic things because for example, they have all of both our birth certificates, passports, identification documents, and all our educational certificates for myself and my husband

I just cannot work out why on earth any government office would reasonably hold on to that much of a bulk of personal material/ documentation and only write us a short letter to say to him to go register biometrics since July.

We both explored and I personally trawled the UKBA guidance notes prior to making the application and we have provided every single detail that they asked for and more relating to income, residence etc.

Truthfully, I have already now decided it will be wise to write to them and attach any documents that indicate any changes to them and also to include any other information that may speed up the matter

And I also decided I would ask my husband not to make any FIR requests to them as it can make things take longer.

And I won't ask for any documents but hint that time being of the essence we have waited quite a while and perhaps cite the standard timelines they quote on ukba website for answering applications.

Thanks for the effort, sadly, the reply comes a good four/five days after I needed an answer, doesnt answer my question and also took longer than the 24 hours I expected on subscribing.

Well done for picking up the question and answering.