How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Changing and updating visa type details, what to do

need to know if my husband has applied to get his visa type changed, and we moved home, what do we need to do.

i suggested we need to send all details of our new house, new bills and up to date finances by letter referring to his application in the letter.

should we be doing anything else?

he is saying he has demanded his information file under foi but as far as i know it, asking for that may delay rather than escalate his application.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert_James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question!

Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you. But in order to get credit for my work, once I've answered your questions, you must give me a rating for the customer service I provide you, and not for the outcome or the state of the law, which I cannot control. Please keep this in mind as we work together.

Is this a US immigration question?

Also, please provide me with all background information and history related to your question, so that I can best assist you with answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This actually relates to the UK immigration law.


thanks for seeking clarity

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

What visa is your husband presently on?

When does his visa expire?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

His current visa is a work permit with residence which expires in 2015 however he has an option to renew or change category.


When we married, I asked him to change the category rather than delay till when his current one comes close to renewal.


Since we sent off the forms with all our documents, not a squeak.


Worst of all, both of us have given then all our identification documents and educational documents and certificates.


So we are both stumped if we need to do anything that requires a passport or id or our certificates.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The main issue i have is that I have said to him, since we moved to our first home together that we need to write to them and let them know we moved,


we have done that.


Additionally we have changed utility suppliers etc and since we got cracking with the paintbrush etc, we finally started to settle.


My suggestion is to write to them and detail all the changes such as our address which we already did but to add details of our utility bills and up to date records relating to our council tax and also give them any up to date tax records especially because I am self employed.


he has been telling me that he will simply ask for his file under FOI however I did some work previously as an OISC supporter when I expolored setting up an OISC partnershiop some years back.


The knowledge I gained then was that asking for info under FOI was not a facilitator for application processing and could sometimes derail and delay the process as paper could be requisitioned from case workers to other departments if electronic records dont meet an FOI request level.


Additionally of course FOI requests are not anything but that, it does not facilitate anything but a response and I don't think they will reply to the request if it does not come from an OISC reg practitioner or from a solicitor.





Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

I will answer in an hour.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.



thanks so much for your answer.


But I am so sorry, you misunderstood my enquiry.


The title of the question is kind of scraped short when we post.


It should read

Changing and updating visa type details, what to do

need to know if my husband has applied to get his visa type changed, and we moved home, what do we need to do.


actually you have not answered my question which was that


if we made an application as you outlined in your answer




we then move to our first home from the address that we were renting causing a change to our utillity service providers, address, our other information eg gas electricity and so on should we then write to the UKBA and provide details of all that has changed


eg if we were using scottish power but now use utility warehouse, those details will be out of date


or if our council tax was at a different address, it will now be at a different address than before.

Is it sensible and agreeable to write to them especially if the application is over 6 months old and provide them with the details of our new utililties and reassure them that we are still married


should we remind them that we cannot go on and do a lot of basic things because for example, they have all of both our birth certificates, passports, identification documents, and all our educational certificates for myself and my husband

I just cannot work out why on earth any government office would reasonably hold on to that much of a bulk of personal material/ documentation and only write us a short letter to say to him to go register biometrics since July.

We both explored and I personally trawled the UKBA guidance notes prior to making the application and we have provided every single detail that they asked for and more relating to income, residence etc.


Truthfully, I have already now decided it will be wise to write to them and attach any documents that indicate any changes to them and also to include any other information that may speed up the matter


And I also decided I would ask my husband not to make any FIR requests to them as it can make things take longer.


And I won't ask for any documents but hint that time being of the essence we have waited quite a while and perhaps cite the standard timelines they quote on ukba website for answering applications.


Thanks for the effort, sadly, the reply comes a good four/five days after I needed an answer, doesnt answer my question and also took longer than the 24 hours I expected on subscribing.


Well done for picking up the question and answering.



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience