Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, Holding a permanent residency status (my wife and I;

Customer Question

Holding a permanent residency status (my wife and I; my daughter -2 years old- is British), I left the UK on Oct 2010, back as visiting lecturer from June to August 11, then again from June to August 12, also as a visiting lecturer. I intend to settle down in the UK this coming summer, though I have yet to find a job; is it possible?

Kind regards
Omar
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Will your wife return to the UK with you?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the three of us, by this June. Does it make a difference?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Do you still hold indefinite leave to remain?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware that our indefinite leave to remain has been revoked (how do I know this?). And that was my original question. We left the UK in Oct 2010, to return on June 2011 to August 2011, and then from June 2012 to August 2012. In both visits I was on unpaid work as visiting lecturer. Both visits lasted just a little longer than 4 months in total.

I do intend to come back and settle in the UK by June 2013 at the latest. However, I have yet to find a job in the UK (though I applying around)

Cheers

Omar

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
OK.

You simply entered the UK each time on your indefinite leave to remain, correct?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom,

That's correct!

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks all your reply.

You will have to check a couple of months before you plan to return with the u k b a whether or not you're indefinite leave to remain has been revoked. After a person has been out of the country for a significant amount of time it will eventually be revoked. This is usually around a year.

If your indefinite leave to remain is still valid when you check thenyou do not need to do anything you can simply return to the u k on your passport. If they confirm that it has been revoked hen you will have to apply for a returning residents visa. Here is the u k b a page on returning residents visas including how to apply.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/returning-residents/

The application should not be too controversial since you last in the u k in august 2012. Provided you can show that your wife is the u k citizens and will return with you you should be fine.

If this is useful please kindly accept and rate my answer as okay service or above if you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your questions.

Kind regards.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. Onlymy daughter is a British citizen - not my wife. Does it make things less complicated?

With whom should I check if my indefinite leave to remain has been revoked ? British consulate where I live or HO?

If revoked, do I need to get a job to apply for a returning resident visa?

It's that the last time (past August) I entered the UK,the officer at Heathrow was a bit fussy saying that I am no longer residing in the UK....

Regards

Omar

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

You should still be eligible to apply for returning resident visa if your wife is not british. How are but if you do not meet eligibility criteria then it may be tricky.

You should contacts united kingdom border agency based in the united kingdom to check whether you're definitely to remain has expired. Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom,

I've been reading stuff on their website. There are no contact details -phone numbers, emails etc...

Can you please help?

Omar

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom,

Any contact number/E-mail please?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!