Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, my wife is EU citizen (Latvia), we married 3 years ago,

Hello, my wife is EU citizen (Latvia), we married 3 years ago, i am from Russia, i received 5 years visa 2 years ago. My question, if we will divorce now do i need to change my visa, can i stay in UK e.t.c. I am working full time and i have business here, i live in UK for 10 years, before was on student visa, my wife is working full time as wel.

Have you completed 10 years in the u k continuously with valid leave to remain throughout the whole of this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i live in uk for 9 years, but i was all the time on student visa, just changed to 5 years visa 2 years ago (resident documentation, eu family member)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i didn't get an answer

If you have been married to your spouse for area of 3 years and have spent at least 1 year in the united kingdom on a resident card of a european national then you can apply to the united kingdom border agency to retain your rights of residence if you divorce.

This means that if you divorce you can apply so that your residents of the u k continues on the same basis that it is now. You will need a solicitor to prepare the application for you periods

Once the application has been successful then you should wait until you have reached 10 years lawful residence in the united kingdom and then apply for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of your long residence. This is available for persons who have been in the u k need for 10 years provided that I have not spent a lot of time outside the u k in this time

Once you have received indefinite leave to remain then you can remain in the u k for as long as you like because your leave is no longer time limited in the same way that it is now.

If this is useful please kindly rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So i can apply for indefinite after 10 years, but is it ok that first 6 years from 10 i was on student visa

correct. Your time on a student visa is permitted to count towards an application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of 10 years long residence.

Thank you for rating my answer and good luck. I have to go out for the day now if you have any further clarifications the post an ad replies and I will get back to you when I can most likely tomorrow morning

Kind regards