How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son in law is a New Zealander with NZ passport and Australian

Resolved Question:

My son in law is a New Zealander with NZ passport and Australian one. My daughter is British with a British and Australian Passport. They have 2 small children. They wish to come home for an extended holiday and my son in law wishes to acquire a work visa for here. They are having a great deal of problems getting one, having applied to the embassy in Sydney. Surely a member of the Commonwealth is entitled to a work visa. Please help us.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

How long would they wish to stay in the UK?

Would they stay together in the UK whist here

What is their annual income and approximate level of savings (there is a financial threshold)

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To stay 2-3 years.

Definately stay together whilst here.

Do not know their income but he has a very good job in Sydney and my daughter is on maternity leave from Singapore Air.


Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,


Drafing your answer now. Once I have answered I have to leave work, I will be able to answer any follow ups you have but there may be a delay of about an half an hour whilst I return home.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

He is still regarded as a foreign citizen regardless of the fact that he is married to your daughter and a commonwealth citizen.

This means that he must have a visa in order to work in the UK.

For a spouse of a UK national who wishes to return to live and work in the UK for that length of time. It’s not as straightforward as I suspect you might assume it to be.
If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• Meet the financial requirement:
• Further financial requirement guidance information here:
If based solely on salary (ie. no savings?) The UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600,.
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following as a minmum:-
• Bank statements from both going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from employers stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets held (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
Further information here:-

He will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation them before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Sorry, I mistakenly posted my reply as an answer. You were not supposed to be able to rate my answer. Please do not rate this answer I have just given you otherwise you will be charged twice.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tom, thank you for the reply. Wow, I had no idea it was so complicated, with all these Europeans coming in, I just presumed that the commonwealth countries would be the same. No wonder my daughter is feeling 'miffed' with her own country of birth. Ironically they got married in England. Will talk to my daughter tomorrow and see where we go from here. Thank you again, Jennie.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jennie,

EEA member state nationals do have it easier than UK citizens, it's a quirk of the rules.

If your daughter was willing to work in an EEA memberstate country for three months with her husband then there is a way around it, so let me know if this is possibility and I will advise further.

Thank you for rating my answer and merry christmas.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.