Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Customer Question

I have an appointment to apply to extend my spousal settlement visa. I have been asked to produce my wife's uk passport. She is in the USA working on a project. Can she FedEx the passport to me? Any problem if she does this and I produce the passport? Will the immigration office swipe the passport and see she is out of the country? Will this be a problem? And is it illegal for her to FedEx the passport to me? She was unable to travel back to the uk at the time of the appointment.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

What did you actually submit with the application, a copy certified by a UK solicitor or just a copy or nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my in person appointment is tomorrow. I will be providing my wife's actual uk passport at the PEO in Liverpool.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I will have to answer tomorrow morning at 9 bst now I'm afraid.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

It’s a bit unsual because the spouse is normally in the UK. However, if you have already demonstrated that your wife is required to be out of the country occasionally then they should be understanding.

I would explain clearly what has happened and tell them they can call her if they wish. You should ask them to take a copy of the passport and ask one of their caseworkers or solicitors to certify that the copy is a copy of the original and that they have seen the original.

You should then ask them to return it to you. State that if they require your wife can attend a UK solicitor upon her return and ask them to also certify the passport and that it is photographic evidence of her identity by verifying that she is the person photographed in the passport. State that you can ask the solicitor to write to you thereafter confirming the same and providing the further certified copy so that they can cross check.

If this is an extension application you can also state that they can refer to their previous file on your spouse visa application because they will likely hold a scanned copy of the passport for her when you made the application so can, again, cross check to verify.

I doubt they will reject out of hand for this but you might have some jobs to follow up on afterwards.

.Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I note that you have not rated my answer at "OK Service" (3 stars) or above. This reflects very badly on me and means that I do not receive credit for the time I have taken to answer your question whatsoever.

Is there any further clarification that you require in order that you will change your rating to "OK Service"?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied.

Kind regards,