How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I have an appointment to apply to extend my spousal settlement visa. I have been asked to produce my wife's uk passport. She is in the USA working on a project. Can she FedEx the passport to me? Any problem if she does this and I produce the passport? Will the immigration office swipe the passport and see she is out of the country? Will this be a problem? And is it illegal for her to FedEx the passport to me? She was unable to travel back to the uk at the time of the appointment.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

What did you actually submit with the application, a copy certified by a UK solicitor or just a copy or nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my in person appointment is tomorrow. I will be providing my wife's actual uk passport at the PEO in Liverpool.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I will have to answer tomorrow morning at 9 bst now I'm afraid.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

It’s a bit unsual because the spouse is normally in the UK. However, if you have already demonstrated that your wife is required to be out of the country occasionally then they should be understanding.

I would explain clearly what has happened and tell them they can call her if they wish. You should ask them to take a copy of the passport and ask one of their caseworkers or solicitors to certify that the copy is a copy of the original and that they have seen the original.

You should then ask them to return it to you. State that if they require your wife can attend a UK solicitor upon her return and ask them to also certify the passport and that it is photographic evidence of her identity by verifying that she is the person photographed in the passport. State that you can ask the solicitor to write to you thereafter confirming the same and providing the further certified copy so that they can cross check.

If this is an extension application you can also state that they can refer to their previous file on your spouse visa application because they will likely hold a scanned copy of the passport for her when you made the application so can, again, cross check to verify.

I doubt they will reject out of hand for this but you might have some jobs to follow up on afterwards.

.Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


I note that you have not rated my answer at "OK Service" (3 stars) or above. This reflects very badly on me and means that I do not receive credit for the time I have taken to answer your question whatsoever.

Is there any further clarification that you require in order that you will change your rating to "OK Service"?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.