Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
30932268

Hello, I am an American citizen whos in a long term relationship

I am an American citizen who's in a long term relationship (5 years) with a UK Citizen who has a green card in the USA. (We both live in the US at this time) We have been looking into what is required for me to move to the UK with her without getting married. I've been to plenty of websites but would love to speak with someone in person that can outline what the next steps would be. Is there any place in Northern California where one could go to speak with someone about this? We currently live in San Francisco, CA
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you both employed? Any children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Alex. Here are some more details about us.

* We are both currently employed with a combined income of around $375,000 a year (Although we will moving to the UK without jobs.)

* We own a flat in London under my girlfriend's name

* We will be moving to the UK with about $80,000 in savings. (enough to survive a year if we have problems obtaining work)

* We both are in technical fields. She's a Web Designer, I'm a QA Engineer

* We have no children

* We have no criminal background

* We've lived together for about 4 years

Hope this helps
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robert

Let me put it simply: based on this information entry to the UK to settle with your partner is unlikely to present a problem. On the information you have supplied you tick all the boxes.

As US citizen you can visit the UK as a tourist for up to 6 months. But you settle you need to apply for a visa and entry clearance.

I am going to cheat here and give you a link to the appropriate page of UK Border Agency website which gives you all the information you need to make an application including a link to the forms and fees.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/

This should be all you need (saves me typing) but I would be happy to discuss further if you need some more help.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Alex

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
As I'm based in London so I cannot give details of lawyers in California.

In any event you really don't need a lawyer for this type of application.

Alex