How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am an American citizen whos in a long term relationship

Resolved Question:


I am an American citizen who's in a long term relationship (5 years) with a UK Citizen who has a green card in the USA. (We both live in the US at this time) We have been looking into what is required for me to move to the UK with her without getting married. I've been to plenty of websites but would love to speak with someone in person that can outline what the next steps would be. Is there any place in Northern California where one could go to speak with someone about this? We currently live in San Francisco, CA
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you both employed? Any children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Alex. Here are some more details about us.

* We are both currently employed with a combined income of around $375,000 a year (Although we will moving to the UK without jobs.)

* We own a flat in London under my girlfriend's name

* We will be moving to the UK with about $80,000 in savings. (enough to survive a year if we have problems obtaining work)

* We both are in technical fields. She's a Web Designer, I'm a QA Engineer

* We have no children

* We have no criminal background

* We've lived together for about 4 years

Hope this helps
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robert

Let me put it simply: based on this information entry to the UK to settle with your partner is unlikely to present a problem. On the information you have supplied you tick all the boxes.

As US citizen you can visit the UK as a tourist for up to 6 months. But you settle you need to apply for a visa and entry clearance.

I am going to cheat here and give you a link to the appropriate page of UK Border Agency website which gives you all the information you need to make an application including a link to the forms and fees.

This should be all you need (saves me typing) but I would be happy to discuss further if you need some more help.



Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience: Partner in national law firm.
Alice H and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
As I'm based in London so I cannot give details of lawyers in California.

In any event you really don't need a lawyer for this type of application.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.