INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi My son is applying for a University course .He is resident

Hi
My son is applying for a University course .He is resident in UK > 3 years on Tier-1 Dependant Visa with me and his mother.
Our Visa was extended in March 2012 up to March 2014 we have resident permit card
Surprisingly the university has sent us email saying that my son does NOT qualify for Home student fees and he has to pay overseas fees which I can't afford.
Being resident > 3 yrs on Immigration visa (Tier-1 dependant) came with me as a dependant
has already been in school and 2 yrs of college in UK why should he now pay overseas fees
I do know we do not have Unlimited stay but that is granted by UK gov after 5 years of stay.For a resident you need to be in UK for 3 yrs
as per the university letter following Immigration act 1971 (settlement is stay without being subject to any restriction on period of stay !!)
I legally work here pay tax and NI doesn't my son have a right to be accepted as home student
Please advice
Many Thanks
Aziz

INC :

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

INC :

Hi, How long before you are eligible for indefinite leave to remain?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

March 2014

Customer:

Hi INC need your input please thanks

Customer:

Are you still available

INC :

Hi, despite paying national insurance and tax, your children will not be deemed to be home citizens until they are settled in the UK. To be settled in the UK, they require at least indefinite leave to remain.

Customer:

what options do I have can't pay overseas fees too high

INC :

Therefore, universities are allowed to charge international students a higher fee and your son will be deemed as an international student.

INC :

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

INC :

Kind regards,

INC :

at the moment, all he can do is wait until you have attained indefinite leave to remain

Customer:

will it be the same with all univ's

INC :

i hope this helps.

INC :

yes. although some charge morevthan others.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

INC :

its a pleasure.