Alex Hughes
Alex Hughes, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience
30932268

I am a dual UK/Canadian citizen and passport holder who has

I am a dual UK/Canadian citizen and passport holder who has been living in the USA for the past 3 years on an L1 Visa.
My wife is Brazilian and living with me in the USA on an L2 spousal visa.
We have been married for 1 1/2 years.
As my employment is winding up in the USA, we can no longer stay in the USA on our present VISAs and wish to move permantly to the UK.
We have sash savings worth the equivilant of over 300,000 sterling.
We have been back and forth many times to the UK.
I am also studying part time at Cambridge University on a post graduate degree.
How difficult will it be for my wife to move and legally stay/ work in the UK under these circumstances? Do we need to apply for her VISA before entering the UK?
How long is it likely to take?
Thank you
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex Hughes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you have children? Presumably accommodation is no problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a child in the UK from a previous marriage.

Accomadation is not a problem.

My wife is presently 3 months pregant

Please bear with me while I type an answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Hi Terry

The application process is straightforward; based on the information you've supplied the chances of success are very high.

The form to enter and stay as a spouse is FLR(M) and details about the fees and documents are available on the UK Border Agency website.

To get a visa your wife must show that:

-you are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;

-your marriage is genuine and subsisting - the length of your marriage & your wife's pregnancy will be sufficient evidence

-your marriage is valid in UK law;

Also that your wife meets the suitability requirements;

-you and your wife intend to live together permanently in the UK;

-you meet the financial requirement e.g. sufficient income and savings to support yourselves.

-she meets the English language requirement - she may have to take a test to prove this.

If your wife meets all these requirements she may be given permission to live in the UK for 2 and a half years. This can be extended. After 5 years, if meet all the requirements she can apply for settlement and citizenship.

Application times vary, depending on whether further information etc is needed, but you should give the British Embassy at least one month to process the application.

The visa (commonly known as entry clearance) must be obtained before entering the UK.

Alex
Alex Hughes, Solicitor Advocate
Experience: Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience