How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a dual UK/Canadian citizen and passport holder who has

This answer was rated:

I am a dual UK/Canadian citizen and passport holder who has been living in the USA for the past 3 years on an L1 Visa.
My wife is Brazilian and living with me in the USA on an L2 spousal visa.
We have been married for 1 1/2 years.
As my employment is winding up in the USA, we can no longer stay in the USA on our present VISAs and wish to move permantly to the UK.
We have sash savings worth the equivilant of over 300,000 sterling.
We have been back and forth many times to the UK.
I am also studying part time at Cambridge University on a post graduate degree.
How difficult will it be for my wife to move and legally stay/ work in the UK under these circumstances? Do we need to apply for her VISA before entering the UK?
How long is it likely to take?
Thank you
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you have children? Presumably accommodation is no problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a child in the UK from a previous marriage.

Accomadation is not a problem.

My wife is presently 3 months pregant

Please bear with me while I type an answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Hi Terry

The application process is straightforward; based on the information you've supplied the chances of success are very high.

The form to enter and stay as a spouse is FLR(M) and details about the fees and documents are available on the UK Border Agency website.

To get a visa your wife must show that:

-you are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;

-your marriage is genuine and subsisting - the length of your marriage & your wife's pregnancy will be sufficient evidence

-your marriage is valid in UK law;

Also that your wife meets the suitability requirements;

-you and your wife intend to live together permanently in the UK;

-you meet the financial requirement e.g. sufficient income and savings to support yourselves.

-she meets the English language requirement - she may have to take a test to prove this.

If your wife meets all these requirements she may be given permission to live in the UK for 2 and a half years. This can be extended. After 5 years, if meet all the requirements she can apply for settlement and citizenship.

Application times vary, depending on whether further information etc is needed, but you should give the British Embassy at least one month to process the application.

The visa (commonly known as entry clearance) must be obtained before entering the UK.

Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience: Partner in national law firm.
Alice H and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.