Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Gday, 1. What advantage will a British Passport give an

1. What advantage will a British Passport give an Australian Citizen ?

2. what cost is a British Passport cost ?

Thanks for your patience.

If an Austrailian citizen has a UK passport but does not have a period of residence in the UK then the advantages are limited to the entry requirements.

Austrailian citizens have a right to enter the UK for short periods for visit purposes only under the visa waiver program. This means that they don’t have to apply for a visa when they travelling, although technically the right is discretionary which means that the UKBA can and do refuse entry where they think that the person does not have sufficient money to cover the costs of their stay or if they think there will be a breach of the immigration rules (eg. Overstaying) or a crime committed. They are not allowed to spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK, so if they have already spent 5 months in the UK and attempting entry for the final month it is probable that the UKBA would refuse entry.

If they person has a UK passport then they can enter when they like without questioning and the UKBA cannot refuse entry regardless of any suspicions. They may work without restriction and remain in the UK for as long as they want.

If the person is automatically a UK citizen and they simply need to apply for a UK passport then the costs from austraila are as follows:-

Adult passport
• 32-page passport - $275.32
• 48 page passport - $318.32
Child Passport
• Child passport (32 pages) - $201.32

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,