How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11614
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner is a Turkish national and she is working in the

Customer Question

My partner is a Turkish national and she is working in the UK on a 3 year Tier 2 work visa. We want to buy a property in the UK together and need to apply for a joint mortgage. What would be the correct procedure for this please?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
There is no special procedure required.
You simply need to find a mortgage company will to lend on that basis - and any mortgage broker should be able to assist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for the information. I have heard a few stories about the length of time that my partner needs to have been in the UK before any mortgage company will begin to consider her/us. Is this accurate, if so.... What period of time are we talking about and what proof will we need to supply if this is the case?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
This is not actually a legal question - and different lenders have different attitudes.
It is fair to say that you are unlikely to be able to achieve the most favourable lending rates - but it is unlikely that you will not find a mortgage lender willing to deal with you.
The starting point is to find an Independent Mortgage Adviser ( should assist) and speak to them
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.


Generally speaking, most high street lenders will require you to be employed, continuously, for at least 6-12 months before they would consider an application for a mortgage.

Therefore, you would find it difficult to obtain a joint mortgage if you have not been working and resident in the UK prior to submitting the application.

I hope this helps.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions