Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

What is TG 1 General visa? Is my son who is on Post Study Visa

What is TG 1 General visa? Is my son who is on Post Study Visa eligible to apply for It?

Thanks for your patience.

There is no specific UK visa called a “TG 1 General Visa”. I assume that you are referring to the previous category called a “ Tier 1 – General visa”.

This was a category for highly skilled persons who had graduated from university, demonstrated an ability to earn a salary in the UK and wish to continue here. However, the immigration rules have tightened considerably over the past couple of years and as a result this category was closed by the UKBA.

You will see that there is confirmation here:-

You will note the 3rd paragraph “This category is now closed to applicants who are outside the UK, and to migrants who are already here in most other immigration categories.”

If your son is not in a relatiosnhpi with a UK citizen, EEA national or foreign national already holding leave to remain in the UK then he would be looking at a working visa, which is usually a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker Visa if he is to work:-

If he is instead to study full time for a PHD in the UK then he would probably have to apply for a further student visa.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,