Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my British passport expired 22 October 1984. Is it posssible

my British passport expired 22 October 1984.

Is it posssible to renew it please

Thanks, Barry

Have you taken up another nationality and renounced UK citizenship?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just want a simple answer please. been in oz 31 years, previous Zimbabwe.Barry

Thanks for your patience.

If you held UK citizenship and had a UK passport then in normal circumstances you would simply be able to apply for a replacement passport, yes.

Sometimes, if a person acquires another form of citizenship by naturalising to obtain another nationality OR applies for a passport from another country by birth right then it can be renounced. This only happens where the new nationality that you acquire does not allow their citzens to hold two nationalities (the UK does though.

The simply answer is if you have not obtaining another passport/citizenship from another country then you will be able to renew your old UK passport. You would know if you had acquired another citizenship because you would have to have applied for it

Assuming this to be the case and that you are based in Austraila then you can apply via the information contained in the following Foreign & Commonwealth webpage:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,