Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i was born in northern Ireland then moved to Liverpool then

i was born in northern Ireland then moved to Liverpool then after Chester in these times i lived in UK for about 7 years and my father had a permanent resident and lived in the uk for 15 years but i currently live in Canada can i apply for British citizenship
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Where was your father born?
Does he hold a British passport?
Did he obtain permanent residency after your birth? If so when?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

- my father was born i Libya .

- he had one year left to get hold of British passport but he decided to move back to Libya on his own will .

- he obtain permanent residency before i was born as i said before i was born in northern Ireland so automatically i have the Irish passport but people told me i should have the British as well so i checked the UK border agency and it was hard to understand so wat i want to know is can i apply for a British passport and if so can i do it overseas

What is your date of birth please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

16 oct of 1993

Have you ever applied for UK citizensip before now?

What nationality are you if you have not?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not applied yet and I have both the Libyan and the Irish

I'm on my phone this evening, may I answer tomorrow?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but can u tell me also where to apply
I will answer at 9bst..

Thanks for your patience.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. The republic if Ireland is a separate sovereign country.

I assume that you have a Northern Irish passport in which case this is a United Kingdom passport and gives you all rights that a person from the UK has. If this is the case there is no need for you to apply for a UK passport because they would simply say that you already have one.

However, Northern Irish citizens are also entitled to apply for passports from the republic of Ireland. If you hold a Republic of Ireland passport and have not lived in the republic then I assume this is how you acquired it. If this is the case and you were born in the UK (ie. Northern Ireland) to a father who held Indefinite Leave to Remain at the time of your birth then you will automatically be a UK citizen.

Therefore if you wished to apply for a UK passport from Canada you would do so following the information on the following Foreign and Commonwealth website:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor