UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am a UK Citizen. I want to get married to a Hong Kong girl.

Customer Question

I am a UK Citizen. I want to get married to a Hong Kong girl. Should I get married in Hong Kong, UK or both? If married in UK, can she then gain a UK travel visa as my wife (she does not want UK passport). Currently she get a Tourist visa to travel to the UK. What are my options?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

If your wife wishes to remain in the UK then yes it would be beneficial for you to marry in Hong Kong and then travel to the UK on a spouse visa. If you would like to marry in the UK and then remain in the UK, then she should arrive to the UK on what is called a fiance visa and then switch to a spouse visa thereafter while she is in the UK.

If however all you want to do is marry in the UK then she would need to arrive to the UK on a marriage visa, please see following link on how to apply:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/marriage-cp/visa/

She would then need to return to Hong Kong after marriage. She would then be in the same position she is now and would need to travel to the UK on a visitors visa as she does now.

If you wish to marry in hong Kong then as long as it is registered and recognised there then it will be recognised in the UK.

If you marry in the UK and your partner does not want to remain in the UK thereafter then she should apply for a marriage visa by using the above link.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards