How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently living in the UK, I have ILR Visa. I have a

This answer was rated:

I am currently living in the UK, I have ILR Visa. I have a brother who is 10 years of age. I would like to bring him to the UK to educate him here. I understand that there is some sort of law with children of 16 and below age. Is there a way whereby I could bring my brother here to educate him??

Who does your brother live with at the moment and do they consent to this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is living with my parents in Nepal. And yes, I have their consent, just not on papers, yet.


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that he would not fall in to the category of your “Child” for the purpose of applying under the “Children Category”:

You will see that it is usually parents based in the UK who are able to apply.

There is a child student category, however this is only where the child is coming to study at an independent fee-paying private schools. So, if he were to attend one of these schools and otherwise met the eligibility criteria in the category:-
..then the fact that you would house, accommodate and support him would buttress his visa application and make it much more likely that he would be successful.

However, if this is not an option then the chid student category does not apply to people wishing to go to publicly funded schools, so you could not do it this way.

If this were the case (ie. no fee paying school) then the only option would be to apply on a discretionary basis for him, but usually this is only done in exceptional circumstance where there are substantial human rights arguments in the applicant’s favour. I regret to say that I cannot see such arguments in his favour if he has a caring family unit in Nepal.

Sorry it could not be better news, but it’s better that you honestly know the situation how difficult it would be

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The website that you gave me, from what age to what age does Tier 4 apply to? It doesn't really say the ages.

About how much would this private school cost roughly, annually/monthly.

It applies to chilren between 4-17 years of age.

Fees vary wildly, but they start from 3-4000 per term, so there are very expensive..

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry. Last questions please.


"confirmation of acceptance for studies, which you get for studying an acceptable course with an approved education provider (also known as a 'Tier 4 sponsor')" What is an approved education provider? Some sort of school counselor?


And if I do bring my brother here, would he be able to get an ILR after some years? If so, till how long?



The approved eduction provider would be the school which he would attend. If it's a fee paying school with an established reputation then they will be a sponsor. They will have many children in this position.

There is no ILR for this category, so he would have to be s student or otherwise legally in the UK for ten years and then apply on the basis of the long residence rules.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.