Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My Civil Partner (Lebanese) applied for leave to remain in

My Civil Partner (Lebanese) applied for leave to remain in the UK as my partner (I am UK national) back in August 2012. We received confirmation that the application had been received and passed to a casework team. That confirmation was dated 30th August 2012. We have heard nothing since then and are finding it hard to settle and organise our lives together without this decision being made.

Can you advise how long such applications usually take? Can we expect news soon? The notification we received warns us not to try to enquire about progress until we hear from the Border Agency, but is there any way we can find out what is going on?

Thanks for your patience.

You will see from the following UKBA webpage that the waiting times for appilcations from Lebanon:-

You will see that in October 20 cases were decided and 100% were decided within two months.

Therefore yours has run considerably over the time limits in the normal course of conduct. However, this is not unusual and I often find in practice that the waiting times are not an accurate representation of the experience clients actually have.

I would attend a local solicitor and get them to write a chaser/complaint letter to them. Before you do you should see your local MP to get them to write a letter of support.

The reality is that does not usually result in an application being decided straightaway but if they have either made an oversight ot still require auctioning things on it then it may prompt them in to action.

They will likely reply in time, if they do not determine the application as a result.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Further to the advice you gave to my previous communication, the following has happened.

My local MP contacted the Border Agency and asked what was happening. He received an answer that suggested they had not even started the process of considering the application. It has now been nearly 6 months since they received the application.

We contacted a local solicitor who did not seem keen on the idea of writing a letter of complaint.

The stress that this is causing to both of us and the strain it is putting on our relationship is becoming more and more difficult to deal with. My partner feels he is wasting his life and losing the best years of his life unable to start a career or really put down any roots.

He is seriously considering asking for his passport to be returned and giving up on the whole thing. This would mean he would have to leave the UK and it would be the end of our Civil Partnership.

Do you think there is any way we can ask for our application to be fast-tracked somehow? Or is there any other approach we could try?

If you have instructed a solicitor then you need to speak to them about this.

There is no facility to fast track the application, as such, but if your solicitor writes to them highlighting the delay then it may prompt them in to action. The time it has taken is not unheard of, I have to say.