How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am British, employed and have returned to the UK, Cornwall

This answer was rated:

I am British, employed and have returned to the UK, Cornwall since March this year form living in Spain for 14 years. I married in Spain in 2000 to my filippina wife. We have 2 children with british passports. I am trying to get my wife here on a settlement visa but do not earn the threshold of 18,600 pa. My son is with me in Spain but my daughter remains in Spain with my wife. Are there any mitigating circumstances that I might use to reunite my family in the UK? I have sufficient accommodation am receiving no benefits and my eldest child is already in school locally.

Do you claim disability benefits?

Has your wife obtained permanent residence in Spain and is she able to nauturalise as a Spanish citizen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not claim disability. I live with my father of 79 yrs in Cornwall. She would probably not be eligible for spainsh citizenship as she is unemployed. In any case it is a 2 to 3 year process. She lives in our family house mortgage paid.


Thanks for your patience.

The salary threshold only recently came part of the eligibility criteria. It will be successfully challenged in time and probably found to be unenforceable, but it will take at least 1-2 years.

The options, which are not great are as follows:-
1) Wait for it to be found unlawfully by other appellants, presumably not to your liking
2) Challenge it yourself, presumably not affordable because it would cost tens of thousands of pounds (most likely) with a very appreciable risk it would not succeed
3) Your wife to naturalise as a Spanish Citizen. She should take advice in this regard from a Spanish attorney to ascertain (definitively) how long it would take. If it’s not that long (ie. Less than 6 months to a year) then this is a real possibility because once she has this she can exercise treaty rights under the Spanish passport
4) Apply under the Surinder Singh Ruling. However, this would require you to uproot to an EEA member state and work there for at least three months with your wife then apply to enter the UK with your wife under this ruling, which effectively means that your wife would only have to meet the criteria of a non-EEA spouse of an EEA national exercising treaty rights in the UK.

It’s a “backdoor” way to get in, but it does work.There’s an an acknowledgement of the position by the UKBA at 2.5.1 here:-

5) Your wife to apply in another category. Either as student ( or as a worker ( or, most likely under the Sponsored Skilled Worker category:

Those are her options in a nutshell. I am very sorry, I don’t agree with the threshold at all.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.