Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

how do we become britisch citizen, mine grandson age 19 is

how do we become britisch citizen, mine grandson age 19 is accepted by the navy, but need an bririsch citizenship pasport, mom is dutch dad is btitisch, born in England Swindon, seem to hit an brick wall for applying one. we came to live 1977 as an resident ,she is an britisch recident, pay's her tax etc. maby you could help us

Where/where was your grandson born?

Are you asking about the citzienship of your grandson, or someone else as well?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he was born in Swindon 1993 21-05

Are you asking just about him and no-one else?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no just mine grandson who is accepted to join the navy in Jnuari.

Just finisth the test up in Schotland.

Ok.

You say that his mother is Dutch and Father is British.

Is the father British by birth having been born in the UK to British parents?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he is, he had joined the Royal Airfors and was station in Swindon where they met, while mine daugther managed an pub there in 1990.

His parents live in Bury St Edmunds. They started to live to gether in Swindon where Brett has been born.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His parents live in Bury St Edmunds. They started to live to gether in Swindon where Brett has been born. Please help us with this.

Right.

Has he actually physically applied for a passport?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but mine daugther is hitting an brick wall , some reason she things they don't know what to do and the people she talks to sound forneign to. Asking to send her pasport sending letters saying it is not stamp't. We came to live inEngland in 1977 she was only an child staying on mine pasport, till she was an adult, mine grandson has an dutch pasport and is only be in holland to stay with his mom and friends in our summer house we have.

We pay our taxes and so she does, but stil they keep sending her the same letters.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he has but no luck so far.

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

My answer assumes that he has applied for a passport and NOT for naturalisation as a UK citizen. If he’s applied for naturlalisation as opposed to a passport then he’s made the wrong application.

If he was born in the UK after 1983 to a father who was a British Citizen otherwise than by descent (ie. By birth, through his parents) then he is automatically entitled to UK citizenship. This means that he should be able to get a passport without first having to register as a UK citizen.

Confirmation here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

See “If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983“

So, if what you say is true then he is entitled to a passport. The issue (I would guess on the basis of what you have said) is proving that his father was British by Birth) and also that his mother is who it states she is in his application. This means that he will probably have to send his birth certificate and those birth certificates/passports (or copies certified by a solicitor) to htme.

I would stop telephoning them. I have 0% confidence in the people at the UKBA/passport office and it never gets you anywhere. Correspndence with them should be in writing so you have a record.

I think what you should do is take the correspondence and copy of the application to a local immigration solicitor for a consultation. If there are no other facts which materially affect the application which you have not mentioned then I would expect the solicitor to offer to write to them explaining and referring to the documentation already providing and advising that his parentage through his father has already been proved and that he is eligible for UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1983. They would ask them to outline the reasons why they feel his citizenship is not proved in writing.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom