Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I have reviewed the new minimum financial requirement

Hello, I have reviewed the new minimum financial requirement to immigrate to the UK but could not determine if it applied to me. My partner (British & Australian citizen) and I (Australian citizen) are resident in Australia and have not lived in UK. We are both employed in Australia. We had a Civil Partnership at the British High Commission. Can you tell me the minimum financial requirement if we both enter the country and do not have employment?

Thank you.

What cash savings do you both have?

Is your partner looking for jobs in the UK and is she likely to secure an offer before you intend to apply?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cash savings of 50K GBP. He may secure an offer before applying, however to be on the safe side he may not.

Is that the total amount of savings you have between you or just his?

If just his, what amount of combined savings do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's combined savings

I will answer tomorrow morning, 9am bst.

The financial requirement applies whether or not you partner is already in the UK or whether they are travelling back with you.

I'm afraid that the cash savings alone are not going to be sufficient if your partner does not have a job offer at the time of applying. Please refer to this the UKBA guidance on the financial requirement for spouses:-

You will see at 5.4.5 the first box in table at the bottom of the page that you fall just short of the required amount of savings to apply on the basis of savings alone and no other income.

Therefore you will have to rely on some other form of income in order to make the application with a reasonable chance of getting an approval.

5.3.2 deals with salaried employement. The first part of it deals with where they have already been employed. You will see that tha part dealing with your situation starts below the 4 bullet points "Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work ".

You will see that although it is not necessary for her to actually be in employement at the date of the application it is necessary for her to have a job offer to start within 3 months of their return. Therefore, the easiest way for her to meet the criteria is to secure a job offer for when she returns.

Once she has this job offer then you can confidently make the application.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,