How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons is married to a Filipino and they have a 14 mth old

This answer was rated:

My sons is married to a Filipino and they have a 14 mth old son. They have been in this relationship for 4 years. She came on a student visa which expires end of November. My son is suffering from depression and anxiety. She has been told that she will have to return to the Philipines and as my son isn't well she will either have to take their child with her or have him adopted as,because of his illness he won't have custody of his son. They are saying that she could apply to come back again but she thinks that will take forever if it happens at all.

Where was the son born please?

Is your son British by birth having been born in the UK to British parents?

What income does your son have? there is a salary threshold..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was born in the uk to british parents. Because of the drepession he is currenlt unable to work.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins. It may be difficult reading though.


Thanks for your patience.

If she is still studying then she should look at extending her student visa, obviously.

As the spouse of a UK national she could (in theory) make an application from within the UK. However the eligibility criteria is a problem for them:-

You will see that there is a financial requirement, which effectively a threshold:-

You will see that he would have to have an income of £18, 600.00 in order for her to be eligible to apply.

The financial requirement would not apply however if your son was receiving any of the following benefits:-
-Disability Living Allowance.
• Severe Disablement Allowance.
• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
• Attendance Allowance.
Which you will see is confirmed here at 6:-
I don’t know if he does claim these benefits but if he does then she can probably apply. If he can’t apply under an exemption then he will have to wait until he either earns that amount of money or until the requirement is found not to be enforceable – it has only just come in and it will probably be overturned in time but it will take at least 18 months.

If she leaves the UK after her visa expires then she would be classed as an overstayer which is a general ground for refusal for most visas, however the UKBA cannot refuse an application for a spouse visa on this ground alone. So, if she did overstay then when she applied in the future for a spouse visa the UKBA would not be able to reject on because she overstayed as the sole reason.

With respect of the child if she was willing to let the child remain in the UK with him then they could do this. I assume the child was born in the UK and that your son is named on the birth certificate, this means that the child is entitled to British Citizenship automatically under the British Nationality Act 1981. They can simply apply for a passport for her.

I am very sorry that I could not have better news for you. It’s tremendously difficult situation for them to be in. I don’t agree with the salary threshold, which is the main barrier here and they have my deep sympathies for their position. I am sure they consider it grossly unfair

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear but it was what I was expecting.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.