Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi. I want to get a Visa to come live in the UK for an

I want to get a Visa to come live in the UK for an extended period of time. I make money in the US and have a company (LLC) in California. I am also a musician that gigs regularly for paid gigs as well. I wanted advice as to the best angles I can take to increase my odds for a visa. I have a bachelors degree in graphic design and a minor in advertising.

Ideally, I'd like to not have to find a job out here but that's always an option. The main reason I'd want to move here is for music.

What nationality are you?

Do you have any UK anccestry?

Can you expand on what you mean by "The main reason I'd want to move here is for music" please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

I am Iranian, but a US Citizen. I do not have UK ancestry.

I guess what I meant by the "main reason I'd want to move here is because of music" is that I'd like to gig here and focus on music, but still perhaps work as a contractor either in the UK or still make money in the US and live here. I don't know if there are laws that prohibit making money in another country and I understand if that was granted their may be double taxation for such a situation.

I have looked into:

1. Volunteer work as a way to get a Visa but would like more info*

2. Getting a job here and getting sponsored

3. Getting an entertainers visa.

Right now, I'm just trying to find the best possible route...

Thanks for your patience.

My answer assumes that you are not in a relationship with a Uk national, EEA member state national or foreign national holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

If you are coming here to work and not to study then you would have to apply for some form of working visa.

If you do not have access to significant funds for investment in the UK (ie. £200, 000.00) then you would he looking at (possibly) a Tier 1 application or (much more likely0 Tier 2 (sponsored skilled worker application).

There is a category for exceptional talent which may include some musicians from the Arts Council of Britain, but these are very rare:-
Generally it tends to be for persons who are musical prodigies with ah previous record of achievement in their home country and they are very difficult to get as you will see from the above.

I assume that in referring to an “entertainers visa” you were referring to the “writers, composers and artist” category which is no closed and therefore not an option for you:-
This means that you would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Effectively this would mean that you would have to work in a primary job and then gig as a sideline.

Sorry I could not have better news for you, the immigration rules have been significantly tightened over the past two years.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,