Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

am a naturalised british citizen currently working as a senior

Customer Question

am a naturalised british citizen currently working as a senior midwife i want to sponsor my orphaned niece who will be 18yrs old in february 2013 settlement visa application in Nigeria is this possible? what are the requirement and type of application
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is she currently dependend upon you (eg. for money)?

Does she have anyone else to care for her?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have been responsible for her finacially even before the death of her parents, she presently lives far away from home with my freind in another state who i do send money to for her upkeep and school fees. Since the death of her Dad the family of her dad claimed that her late mum's marriage to her dad was illegitimate and as such she is not entitled to anything from her dad estate or from them.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

For how long have you contributed financially?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5 years now

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Does she have any health or mental conditions which mean she requires a certain level of care?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

It’s going to be very difficult to secure her leave to enter.

Because you are not the mother she is not regarded as your child. The fact that she is dependent upon you does not change this.

Even if she was your child she would not meet the criteria for a parent to bring her here under the immigration rules because she is over 18 years of age. Confirmation here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/children/

Thus, there is no an application that she could make within the Immigration Rules to come here. Therefore , she would be looking at making an application outside of the immigration rules on a discretionary basis. This is very, very hard to do and you would certainly need a solicitor to do it for you. Their fees would be in the region of £1500 +VAT.

As a minimum you would have to be able to demonstrate your close relationship and her financial dependent on you. You would also have to show that she could be supported and accomdated here without the need for any public funds to be claimed either by you or here.

Even with the above it is still quite unlikely that she would be granted leave to remain unless are able to somehow show that she is not capable of looking after herself in the way that a normal, well-adjusted adult is able to do.

I am sorry I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

'FAO Tom Only'

she is 17 yrs old she will not be 18yrs until february 2013

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.