How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi was born in the UK (1975) and have a UK passport which expired

This answer was rated:

Hi was born in the UK (1975) and have a UK passport which expired 5 yrs after I was born. I have not renewed it since then. I currently hold a non EU passport. Since it has been 22 years since the expiry of my British passport I was wondering what steps I need to take to renew my British passport.


Where are you applying from please ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From Doha Qatar


Thanks for your patience.

There is nothing that you have to do legally to get a new passport. You are automatically entitled to UK citizenship if you were born in in the UK before 1983.

Therefore, provided that you can prove your birth and identity you will be issued a new UK passport.

This is the link to the passport application page from the Foreign and Commonweatlh Office in Qatar, which contains all the information you need to apply for a passport from there:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tom,


Yes I have my UK birth Certificate, however my photo on my UK passport (5 years old) has changed significantly. I am 37 yrs old now. I suppose my UK birth certificate which has been attested should be sufficient. Could you kindly clarify.


It's possible that they may require you to also provide a statutory declaration or sworn affidavit confirming that you are the person named in the Birth Certicate.

I would apply and wait until they raise a requisition (if they do, which they probably will).

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not lived in the UK since the passport expired and will not be living there, does that complicate things? I plan to come to the UK next year to try to renew it, do you think a week would be sufficient?


No, it doesn't matte that you haven't lived there - UK citizenship is not revoked simply because you have been out of the country.

You are entitled to it (passport) whether you intend to return or not.

You should apply now though, just in case there are complications or if the FCO is slow in processing your application but you shoudl have it in time for your proposed trip.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my final question,

i hold a passport from a country that doesnt allow dual citizenship. Do you know if when applying to renew, the UK embassy will make any contact with the country of my current nationality as that could lead to inconveniences?


Right. This does complicate things.

When did you obtain citizenship of this other country? Presumably you effectively renounced your UK citizenship at this time.

I am travelling now so might not be able to answer for half an hour or so..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt renounce it, the passport expired and I didnt renew it and was entitled current nationality since my parents hold that passport. Does having a passport of another country automatically revoke a british nationality?



I expect that when you took up your current citizenship which does not permit dual citizenship that there would have been something saying that you renounce your current citizenship. So it may be that it is renounced, you will have to speak to a lawyer of the country where you took up your current citizenship.

If you take up citzenship of the UK now I would suppose that this may revoke your current citizenship. Again, you will have to speak to a lawyer in that country about that.

If by taking up your current citizenship it did not revoke your UK citizenship then you should still be able to apply for a UK passport.

If it was revoked then you can resume it under the provisions shown on the following page:-

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.