Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi was born in the UK (1975) and have a UK passport which expired

Hi was born in the UK (1975) and have a UK passport which expired 5 yrs after I was born. I have not renewed it since then. I currently hold a non EU passport. Since it has been 22 years since the expiry of my British passport I was wondering what steps I need to take to renew my British passport.

Thanks
Laila
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Where are you applying from please ?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From Doha Qatar

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

There is nothing that you have to do legally to get a new passport. You are automatically entitled to UK citizenship if you were born in in the UK before 1983.

Therefore, provided that you can prove your birth and identity you will be issued a new UK passport.

This is the link to the passport application page from the Foreign and Commonweatlh Office in Qatar, which contains all the information you need to apply for a passport from there:-
http://ukinqatar.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Tom,

Yes I have my UK birth Certificate, however my photo on my UK passport (5 years old) has changed significantly. I am 37 yrs old now. I suppose my UK birth certificate which has been attested should be sufficient. Could you kindly clarify.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

It's possible that they may require you to also provide a statutory declaration or sworn affidavit confirming that you are the person named in the Birth Certicate.

I would apply and wait until they raise a requisition (if they do, which they probably will).

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not lived in the UK since the passport expired and will not be living there, does that complicate things? I plan to come to the UK next year to try to renew it, do you think a week would be sufficient?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

No, it doesn't matte that you haven't lived there - UK citizenship is not revoked simply because you have been out of the country.

You are entitled to it (passport) whether you intend to return or not.

You should apply now though, just in case there are complications or if the FCO is slow in processing your application but you shoudl have it in time for your proposed trip.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my final question,

i hold a passport from a country that doesnt allow dual citizenship. Do you know if when applying to renew, the UK embassy will make any contact with the country of my current nationality as that could lead to inconveniences?

Thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Right. This does complicate things.

When did you obtain citizenship of this other country? Presumably you effectively renounced your UK citizenship at this time.

I am travelling now so might not be able to answer for half an hour or so..

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didnt renounce it, the passport expired and I didnt renew it and was entitled current nationality since my parents hold that passport. Does having a passport of another country automatically revoke a british nationality?

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi.

I expect that when you took up your current citizenship which does not permit dual citizenship that there would have been something saying that you renounce your current citizenship. So it may be that it is renounced, you will have to speak to a lawyer of the country where you took up your current citizenship.

If you take up citzenship of the UK now I would suppose that this may revoke your current citizenship. Again, you will have to speak to a lawyer in that country about that.

If by taking up your current citizenship it did not revoke your UK citizenship then you should still be able to apply for a UK passport.

If it was revoked then you can resume it under the provisions shown on the following page:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/registration/resumptionofcitizenship/

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor