How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I´m citizen of Czech republic living in London 6 years, my

This answer was rated:

I´m citizen of Czech republic living in London 6 years, my girlfriend is citizen of Dominican republic living in DR, our partnership lasts 2,5 years. We plan to marry and live together for some time in the uk. Does it matter where we do the FIRST wedding (we want to do weddings for both families separately) from the perspective of UK immigration law? I heard, if we do the FIRST wedding outside of EU (in the Dominican republic), we will get big trouble with UK immigration law. Is it true? Thank you very much for your time.
Mgr. Borivoj Cisler

Thanks for your patience.

No, it does not matter if you marry outside the EEA.

The UKBA do not stipulate where you marry for the purpose of appling for an EEA Family Permit, they just need to see that you are actually married and that she is therefore eligible for a Family Permit.

Provided that the marriage is recognised in the country that it took place in, was executed so as to satisfy the requirements of the country’s law and there was no legal restriction on either party marrying then the marriage will be recognised by the uk:-
See 2 on the above link.

Therefore, provided you marry according to Dominican Law and you are both free to marry then it will be binding. However, by way of proof you will obviously you’re your marriage certificiate and if this is not in English to have this translated by a professional translator company.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions