How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a student overtstayer for 6month now and wish to stay

This answer was rated:

I am a student overtstayer for 6month now and wish to stay behind in the uk and dont know what to do and wish way to go about it please help me out. what can i do???

Are you in a relationship with a UK national, EEA national or foreign national holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK?

Do you have any children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not at all i dont have any relationship yet and dont have any children.

If you are not in a relationship with any of those people and there is no child in the UK with legal leave to remain for which you have access rights then I’m afraid there is nothing that you can do.

The rules are very strict with regard to overstayers. Any application for extension that you would make now would be rejected.

The only possible option which you could apply for asylum. Claiming Asylum is very difficult. In practice only 19 of 100 applications are actually accepted.

In order to claim asylum you must show that you have a well founded fear of persecution because of:-
 race;
 religion;
 nationality;
 political opinion; or
 membership of a particular social group.

If your application is not genuine though you will be found out.

If you are not able to claim asylum then it would be better to leave the UK of your own accord and paying for your ticket, because then you would only receive a re-entry ban of 1 year as opposed to (potentially) 2, 5 or 10 years.

I am very sorry it could not be better news. The only alternative is to marry one of the people above and then apply on the basis of marriage, but if the relationship is not genuine then it would be a breach of an immigration rules.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please how soon from now can i make all this optional get done (having a geniue relationship with a UK national, EEA national or foreign national holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK or have any children) before any drastic legal action by the Immigration took place. because i have been going to rteporting center in dallas court every forthnight since month of May this year.


You would have to show a relationship of at least three months, more ideally. You have to be living together as well really. It must be genuine.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can i stop going to reporting center till i found a suitable relationship or i should be reporting becuase people gave me an advise to stop going coz i might be detained someday please advise on what to do concerning that. regards


It's possible you could be detained there one day yes. But if you do not attend then they will deport you the next time they catch up with you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its been four month now i have been going for reporting since month of May is there any chances for me to stay upto six month in the country again ???


I doubt it unfortunately.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.