Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How soon do I have to inform UKBA that my marriage has broken

How soon do I have to inform UKBA that my marriage has broken down? or Do I just inform after the divorce is accepted?

My visa will be cancelled right after I inform UKBA? I need to stay 3more months, then go back to my country.

I am a UK Spouse visa holder. planning to go back to my home country.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

At what stage are you in your divorce?

Has your divorce petition been issued?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, nothing has been done yet. not even paper work.

Only agreed to get divorced.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I think I answered this the other day for you.

The UKBA will only curtail your visa and advise you to leave the country once they are informed by either you or your husband that your marriage is at an end because you are separate.

Provided that your husband does not write to the UKBA then they will not do anything.

Therefore I would wait for about two months before you issue the divorce petition. Once the divorce petition has then been issued, either you or your husband can write to the UKBA informing them of your separation. They will then write to you and ask that you leave the UK within 28 days of the date of the letter.

This should give you the three months that you require before you have to leave the UK

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you! just one more question.

So I or my husband start applying for the divorce petiton now? and wait to be issued while im staying here?

it will take two months to be issued? (for unreasonable behaviour)

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

No. If you require to stay here for three months then I would not issue the petition just yet because that is clear evidence that the marriage is at an end.

Instead I would wait for another two months before issuing the petition so that you have enough time to stay for the further three months. When you return to your home country therafter you should update the Court as to where you can be written to so that you can conduct the remainder of your divorce from outside the UK.

Divorces usually take about 5-6 months from the date that the petition is issued by the county court so it's a bit longer than you think.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Divorces usually take about 5-6 months from the date that the petition is issued by the county court

Sorry, need to make sure, what do u mean by 'from the date that the petition is issued by the country court'?

the date, I or my husband applied for the divorce petition? or the day the court accepted and issued?

I am confused...5-6month total to get divorced or another 5-6months after the court issued the divorce????

and if i go back to my home country before the divorce is accepted by England law, I can still do divorce and change my name in my country according to the law in my country. Does this affect the divorce petiton here?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

To get a divorce you have to send your divorce petition to County Court. Once they have received it they will issue it. The divorce then takes about 5-6 months from when they issue it.

It does not matter if you return to your home country but you will need to give the court details of where you can be written to so that you can complete your divorce from outside the UK.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, so if the divorce is issued in my country(Japan), then I can change the name back to my Japanese family name.

Can I also inform the court that I changed my name? in addition to the address?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

The divorce will be issued in the UK if you petition here.

Once your have received your final divorce decree (the decree absolute) then you can produce this so that you can then use your maiden name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i understand. but my concern is....

I will apply for divorce petition in two months, then go back to Japan.

I will then submit the divorce paper in Japan, then the divorce in Japan will be accepted right away, so I can change my name.

So, I was asking if I could also inform the court that the divorce was issued in Japan, and now i use my maiden name. Is that ok?

Hope this will be my last question and I will be rate u as excellent !

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I don't know about Japanese divorces so you would have to check with you Japanese attorney to be certain.

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks. other family law solicitor here answered that UK accepts Japanese divorce, so I dont have to ask for divorce petition here.

Thanks for your great help, anyway!