Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If am granted a visa to immigrate to the UK as a Civil Partner

If am granted a visa to immigrate to the UK as a Civil Partner or a British National (both residing outside of the UK), do I need to immigrate within a certain period of time to retain the visa?

What is the gap between when the leave was granted to the actual date of travel?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haven't applied for a visa. I am considering applying well in advance. The time period in between could be 12 months. Is there an time period on when you must immigrate when you have been given approval?

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

It’s generally the case that the UKBA would expect you to enter the UK within 3 months of the visa being granted, however the border officials are unlikely to ask you any questions if you arrive within 6 months of the date of the visa being granted.

If travelling after 6 months of the visa being granted then I would suggest travelling supporting documentation for stating why you are travelling at this time. Perhaps it’s because you needed some extra time to settle your affairs and if you can document this then it would be helpful.

I would suggest applying for the visa about 4 month before you actually intend to travel. This should give adequate time for the decision to be determined by the UKBA and also a bit of leeway in which you would be able to appeal if (for whatever reason) the application is rejected.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom