How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my mom and sister traveling into the uk from Nigeria

This answer was rated:

I have my mom and sister traveling into the uk from Nigeria next week by the way their all holding a Nigerian passport. I have a 2 year old daughter in Nigeria and because I'm in the USA studying I can't go as far as Nigeria to pick her. I want them to bring her to the uk and I will go to London to pick her. She has an American passport. Will they be held at the port of entry for child trafficking as they don't have same surname with her? Or otherwise what document can they go with ?

Has your daughter received a child visa to travel taking in to account the fact that her mother/father are not travelling with her?

Or did you simply hope that because she has a US passport she would be able travel on her own with them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Because of the us passport she doesn't require a visa to get in. I have travelled with her to the uk severally and they stamp 6 month entry on her passport anytime we get to London.
Right. I'll caution that it's not that simple/

When do they intend to travel?

Should take me 5 mins to draft after your reply..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm hoping they will let her in. They intend to come on 2oth of september

Thanks for your patience.

US citizens obviously have the right to enter the UK under the visa waiver program. However, it’s technically discretionary upon port of entry. The border control officials will need to satisfy themselves that the child meets the fifth, sixth and seventh bullet points on the following page:-

You really should have sought advice a lot earlier. Her mother needs to execute an affidavit confirming that she consents to the trave, who is to look after herl, giving evidence of her identity, proof of address and telephone number. She also needs to stating your plans to meet here. This needs to be held by your mother when traveling.

At the same time you need to execute an affidavit where you are confirming the trip and that you will meet up with them, giving the same details as above. Once executed you need to send this to your mother probably by DHL or some other courier service so that it gets there in time for their journey. You also need to give evidence of the funds available so that you can prove the criteria to support/accommodate without the need to access public funds.

If you can do all of the above before the time you travel then you should (should) be okay. If you can’t then it’s going to be unlikely that they will let her travel I’m afraid.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.