Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have my mom and sister traveling into the uk from Nigeria

I have my mom and sister traveling into the uk from Nigeria next week by the way their all holding a Nigerian passport. I have a 2 year old daughter in Nigeria and because I'm in the USA studying I can't go as far as Nigeria to pick her. I want them to bring her to the uk and I will go to London to pick her. She has an American passport. Will they be held at the port of entry for child trafficking as they don't have same surname with her? Or otherwise what document can they go with ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Has your daughter received a child visa to travel taking in to account the fact that her mother/father are not travelling with her?

Or did you simply hope that because she has a US passport she would be able travel on her own with them?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because of the us passport she doesn't require a visa to get in. I have travelled with her to the uk severally and they stamp 6 month entry on her passport anytime we get to London.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Right. I'll caution that it's not that simple/

When do they intend to travel?

Should take me 5 mins to draft after your reply..

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm hoping they will let her in. They intend to come on 2oth of september
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

US citizens obviously have the right to enter the UK under the visa waiver program. However, it’s technically discretionary upon port of entry. The border control officials will need to satisfy themselves that the child meets the fifth, sixth and seventh bullet points on the following page:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/child/requirements/

You really should have sought advice a lot earlier. Her mother needs to execute an affidavit confirming that she consents to the trave, who is to look after herl, giving evidence of her identity, proof of address and telephone number. She also needs to stating your plans to meet here. This needs to be held by your mother when traveling.

At the same time you need to execute an affidavit where you are confirming the trip and that you will meet up with them, giving the same details as above. Once executed you need to send this to your mother probably by DHL or some other courier service so that it gets there in time for their journey. You also need to give evidence of the funds available so that you can prove the criteria to support/accommodate without the need to access public funds.

If you can do all of the above before the time you travel then you should (should) be okay. If you can’t then it’s going to be unlikely that they will let her travel I’m afraid.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor