Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
60469748

I a British passport holder living in Portugal. My wife is

I a British passport holder living in Portugal. My wife is currently living in Botswana and has a Botswana passport. Is it possible to obtain a visa to allow her to live in Portugal with me?
Rgds
Tony XXXXXXXX
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you with your question.

Will you be returning to live in the UK together or do you intend to live in Portugal?

How long have you been married?

Do you have suitable accommodation, income and savings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You did not read my question, or you would not have answered as you have. My wife has a Botswana passport and I want to obtain a visa to enable her to live with me in Portugal. How do I obtain such a visa? I am a British passport holder and currently reside in Portugal as my permanent home.

Hi

As long as you are working in Portugal (hence exercising treaty rights as an eu national), she can apply for a family permit to join you in Portugal. She could also simply apply at port for this (her entry visa will be stamped at port) if you are traveling to Portugal together. You will need your marriage certificate and your recent pay slip to show them at port.

Please refer to 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 of the following link. This refers to the UK but the regulations and point of law are the same across all the European countries under the EEA Regulations 2006:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter7/section3/section3.pdf?view=Binary

It may be more practical though to apply and obtain a family permit before travel though to avoid problems and confusion at port (since most officers are not familiar with the regulations but in which case you can insist on seeing a senior immigration officer). This can be applied for at the Portuguese embassy in Botswana.
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.