Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, I have been going back and forth to visit my Fiance in

I have been going back and forth to visit my Fiance in England, my last trip was on August 13th and I am planning to go back the weekend of August 31st. Each trip has been just a long weekend 4 days long as we both have to get back to work. He has been here a couple of times, and we plan to get married in the US in November. I also have trips planned the first two weekends of October since we have holiday at my work during that time. Do you see any problem with my going so frequently at the UK border? I always have my return ticket information which they ask for, but I am not sure with a few frequent trips if it will raise concern.

Thank you

Do you enter the UK under the visa waiver program as a US citizen?

In the past 12 months how much time have you spent in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been travelling with a passport. In the past 12 months, 8 days -two trips May 9th for 4 days and this past one on August 13th for 4 days.

I am planning trips Aug 31st-Sept 4th, Sept 29th-Oct 3rd and Oct 6th-9th...because of holiday time I have off it works out.

I just want to make sure I plan to avoid any issues as best as possible. We both work so these short trips are easiest. I have always provided my return stub at customs which has so far been ok.

Thank you.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are you please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

american, us citizen by birth

Thanks for your patience.

You have been entering under the Visa Waiver Program for US citizens. This means that where a US citizen is travelling to the UK for a short visit of no more than 6 months then they do not have to make an application for a visa before they leave. However, they must leave and cannot apply to extend or switch in to another visa category.

If the total time spent in the UK is near to or greater than 6 months in the preceding 12 months before you attempt entry then you would be refused.

Entering in this way is entirely discretionary, it is not a right I’m afraid. The discretion fall upon the entry clearance officier. If they consider that you are a risk of an overstay because you are in a relationship with a UK citizen and feel that you would be compelled to stay then they can refuse.

The length and frequency of your visits does not meant that you cannot enter again, but to be on the safe side I would travel with evidence of your return flight tickets together with other documentary evidence which can help to convince them that you will return to the US. So things like your employment contract, bank statements, evidence of your continuing accommodation in the US. If you travel with this then you should be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,