How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have been going back and forth to visit my Fiance in

This answer was rated:

I have been going back and forth to visit my Fiance in England, my last trip was on August 13th and I am planning to go back the weekend of August 31st. Each trip has been just a long weekend 4 days long as we both have to get back to work. He has been here a couple of times, and we plan to get married in the US in November. I also have trips planned the first two weekends of October since we have holiday at my work during that time. Do you see any problem with my going so frequently at the UK border? I always have my return ticket information which they ask for, but I am not sure with a few frequent trips if it will raise concern.

Thank you

Do you enter the UK under the visa waiver program as a US citizen?

In the past 12 months how much time have you spent in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I have been travelling with a passport. In the past 12 months, 8 days -two trips May 9th for 4 days and this past one on August 13th for 4 days.


I am planning trips Aug 31st-Sept 4th, Sept 29th-Oct 3rd and Oct 6th-9th...because of holiday time I have off it works out.


I just want to make sure I plan to avoid any issues as best as possible. We both work so these short trips are easiest. I have always provided my return stub at customs which has so far been ok.


Thank you.


Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are you please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

american, us citizen by birth


Thanks for your patience.

You have been entering under the Visa Waiver Program for US citizens. This means that where a US citizen is travelling to the UK for a short visit of no more than 6 months then they do not have to make an application for a visa before they leave. However, they must leave and cannot apply to extend or switch in to another visa category.

If the total time spent in the UK is near to or greater than 6 months in the preceding 12 months before you attempt entry then you would be refused.

Entering in this way is entirely discretionary, it is not a right I’m afraid. The discretion fall upon the entry clearance officier. If they consider that you are a risk of an overstay because you are in a relationship with a UK citizen and feel that you would be compelled to stay then they can refuse.

The length and frequency of your visits does not meant that you cannot enter again, but to be on the safe side I would travel with evidence of your return flight tickets together with other documentary evidence which can help to convince them that you will return to the US. So things like your employment contract, bank statements, evidence of your continuing accommodation in the US. If you travel with this then you should be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.