How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I am Japanese, Female. I live in Italy with my

This answer was rated:

Hi there,

I am Japanese, Female. I live in Italy with my unmarried Italian partner. I moved here 2007 and ever since we've lived together. I have Italian residency. We also have a four-year-old daughter who was born here in Rome in 2008. She's got both Italian and Japanese passport.

We have now decided to move to the UK asap so our daughter can start her school year(reception) in the UK. I am now trying to apply for EEA family permit online but I've come across some tricky questions as I go along. I've listed them up below. Kindly help me answer them, please?

1. The main purpose of the non-EEA national visit to the UK:

Should I put: "To move and live with my EEA national partner"?

2. how long do you intend to stay in the UK?

We will be there as long as we can, maybe we will settle down for good. What should we say then?

3. where do you and the EEA National plan to live in the UK?

We've booked a short let apartment to begin with our life in London. It's for one month. Can I put the address of the apartment?

4. will you or the EEA National receive income from any other sources, including friends or family?

Because I used to live and work in the UK I still hold an English Bank account. My Jp parents have already put some money to start up our life there. Both of our families can help us if we need more. How should I state this on the application form?

5. Do you (the non-EEA national) intend to work in the UK?

Yes, I do intend to work once my daughter's schooling is settled. My partner also needs to find a job once we move there. We will live on our saving and our parents help until we find job. What should I write here?

I'd really appreciate it if you could reply to my queries asap. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for your patience.

Using your numbering:-
1) Yes, state “to move and reside in the UK with your EEA husband who intends to exercise his EEA treaty rights in the UK by working”
2) You should confirm that you will live there for the foreseeable future whilst your husband has employment there stating that it will be your permanent residence for at least the next couple of years as a minimum with a view to settling here in the longer term
3) Yes, just be honest and state that you have a short term let giving the length of the let and stating that you will live here temporarily whilst you secure more permanent accommodation and shall update them as to your permanent accommodation in due course
4) You should refer to the bank account as a result of your previous time in the UK. Refer to the one-of payment as a gift from your parents and ask them to execute a letter confirming it as a gift for the costs of relocation. State that you will provide the letter from your parents if they require.
5) State that you intend to work once you have resolved your child’s schooling needs and after your husband has secure work and after you have applied for your residence card upon arrival to prove to proposed employers that you have the right to work in the UK as the non-EEA spouse of an EEA national. Info on Residence Cards here:-

The best way forward is just to be honest. You have a right to be here if your husband is exercising his treaty rights and the reality is that this application has a much, much lower threshold of eligibility than applications that are not based on EEA treaty rights.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.