UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

I am a UK citizen born in Damascus, Syria in 1987. My mother

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen born in Damascus, Syria in 1987. My mother was naturalized. I have never lived in the UK. I don't own any property in the UK. I live in Dubai at the moment. I have a dual citizenship. I am single with no children.

I heard that my children (when they are born) will not become UK citizens unless they are born there. I called the UK border agency and they said that if i have lived in the UK for 3 years, then I am entitled to register my children. How many years are required to live in the uk to become a first generation citizen rather than 2nd generation (by descent)?

I asked what the term "live" meant. UKBA told me that I should have proof of living there (Council tax and utilities).

What are the conditions for me to be settled in the uk?

What are the required procedures that I must go through?

What is the time period required?

Can I keep going back and forth to the UK while doing my photography and be considered "settled" or do I have to stay there for the time period?

Is this sufficient to be considered settled in the UK?

Therefore, I decided to rent a house in the UK, visit every few months and pay council tax and other bills. I cannot open a bank account unless I have a proof of address.
Does this suffice? What are my tax obligations in this case? I will have no income in the UK, is the money i use to pay my bills taxed once it arrives in my bank account?

I also thought of establishing my freelance photography business there. I would use the UK as my base and travel a lot. However, business is very on and off and I might receive my earnings outside the UK. Do I have to pay tax on any outside earnings? What do I have to pay if I don't receive any income from this photography business?

Am I going to be asked about where my money is coming from if the monthly spending on bills and rent is 750 pounds per month?

Do I have to pay tax on any outside earnings?

Do I have to declare any outside earnings?

What do I have to pay if I don't receive any income from this photography business? Are there any monthly/yearly taxes associated for businesses that aren't doing so well?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.