UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

I am a UK citizen born in Damascus, Syria in 1987. My mother

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen born in Damascus, Syria in 1987. My mother was naturalized. I have never lived in the UK. I don't own any property in the UK. I live in Dubai at the moment. I have a dual citizenship. I am single with no children.

I heard that my children (when they are born) will not become UK citizens unless they are born there. I called the UK border agency and they said that if i have lived in the UK for 3 years, then I am entitled to register my children. How many years are required to live in the uk to become a first generation citizen rather than 2nd generation (by descent)?

I asked what the term "live" meant. UKBA told me that I should have proof of living there (Council tax and utilities).

What are the conditions for me to be settled in the uk?

What are the required procedures that I must go through?

What is the time period required?

Can I keep going back and forth to the UK while doing my photography and be considered "settled" or do I have to stay there for the time period?

Is this sufficient to be considered settled in the UK?

Therefore, I decided to rent a house in the UK, visit every few months and pay council tax and other bills. I cannot open a bank account unless I have a proof of address.
Does this suffice? What are my tax obligations in this case? I will have no income in the UK, is the money i use to pay my bills taxed once it arrives in my bank account?

I also thought of establishing my freelance photography business there. I would use the UK as my base and travel a lot. However, business is very on and off and I might receive my earnings outside the UK. Do I have to pay tax on any outside earnings? What do I have to pay if I don't receive any income from this photography business?

Am I going to be asked about where my money is coming from if the monthly spending on bills and rent is 750 pounds per month?

Do I have to pay tax on any outside earnings?

Do I have to declare any outside earnings?

What do I have to pay if I don't receive any income from this photography business? Are there any monthly/yearly taxes associated for businesses that aren't doing so well?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

I would suggest that you give birth in the UK in order for your children to be British Citizens otherwise than by descent. If they are born outside the UK, it will be a difficult process as you have seen -you will need to live in the UK for at least 3 years and there may be tax implications.

If you decide to give birth in the UK, you simply fly to the UK, give birth and return with your babies British otherwise than by descent, you don't need to worry about taxes or living in the UK.

Thank you