UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

I am soon to be applying for a tier 4 student visa (UK), from

I am soon to be applying for a tier 4 student visa (UK), from the US. I have multiple charges pending in the US. A plea may be done before I need to apply for the visa, however this will leave me with recent felony convictions.
Does the UKBA do a background check, with the US, for tier 4 student visas? Also, would I be more likely to get clearance via having charges pending or the recent convictions... or omitting that information? Thanks.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

The ukba do ask if you have any criminal convictions in any contry. I would suggest you be honest and state that you have been convicted and state any mitigating circumstances surrounding your conviction.

I would not suggest omitting such information as if the ukba conduct checks which they usually do they will automatically ban you and your application will be refused.

It is better to be honest and provide a full explainaton of the offence as they may consider the reasons and if they deem you not a repeat offender then they will issue you with a visa.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information thus far. The problem is, my charges are stated as "burglary" and stalking". Although I did nothing violent, the charges make me appear violent. I would think my visa would be denied on that alone. Am I wrong? Moreover, does the UKBA do background checks for each tier 4 student visa application? I plan on being honest, I just want to learn as much as I can from you.
Thank you for your.

Yes they do sound violent, but that is why you should explain in detail each offence and they are not as bad as they seem.

You may also consider obtaining character witnesses from individuals whom are willing to state how you are as a person and how you have changed and how you are now focused on furthering your education abroad and how it will help your further prospects of employment etc.

The ukba do carry out background checks but how often and who only they know ,so just explain your offence and any mitigating circumstances.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards