How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question

UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2448
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a civil partner of a uk citizen, we both reside out of

Resolved Question:

I am a civil partner of a uk citizen, we both reside out of the uk and are looking to immigrate. We have not resided in the uk before. Is the fact I am HIV positive going to disadvantage me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.


No, this should not be the case as terminal illness such as HIV can not be the basis for refusal unless other factors are taken into account. Please see below the internal guidance issued by the UKBA regarding applications with terminal illness:


If an applicant for entry clearance has a serious illness, for example HIV / AIDS, the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) should decide on the application under the provisions of the Rules or, if in doubt, refer it to:


Entry Clearance referrals, RCU, UK Border Agency, through the Home Office referrals mailbox. Supporting material should be scanned and sent by email. For further information see section on Referrals.


The fact that an applicant has a serious illness is not sufficient grounds in itself for ECOs to exercise discretion in issuing an entry clearance. Where in any case it appears that public health may be at risk, advice should be sought from the Department of Health. You may want to contact the Public Health Unit for further information.


Department of Health
Aspects of Public Health Unit
Room 601A
Skipton House
80 London Road


Tel: +4420 7972-2000

Fax: +4420 7972-5138


The ECO must refer all such persons to the Medical Officer for a medical examination.


The Medical Referee's recommendation should contain a recommendation as to whether the applicant is able to maintain himself / herself and, if relevant, any dependants, during his / her stay in the UK. For instance, although a person who is HIV positive may be well enough to work, study or undertake a visit, a person with full blown AIDS may not be capable.


If an applicant appears to be so ill that it is likely that he / she would require medical treatment while in the UK and the person could not meet the cost of the treatment privately, the ECO should consider refusal under the general provisions of the Rules. Paragraph 37 of the Rules covers those who suffer from a disease or condition which would prevent them from supporting themselves or their dependants.


If the ECO believes that the applicant intends to travel to the UK as a visitor in order to obtain free medical treatment, the ECO may refuse entry because he/she is not satisfied that the applicant is genuinely seeking entry as a visitor (paragraph 41(i)).


Visitors to the UK are not entitled to receive free (non- emergency) National Health Service hospital treatment on a visit to the UK unless they are considered exempt from charge under the NHS (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 1989, as amended (see guidance in the Visits section).


More information is available on the Department of Health - Information for overseas visitors


Depending on your current condition and how ill you currently are will be factors taken into account by the UKBA, they will also look into in medical treatment is needed will you or your partner be able to pay for such treatment as free treatment will not be available to you until you have obtained an indefinite leave to remain status in the UK.


I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.


Kind regards,

UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 2448
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience