UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

my university tell me there is some change to my study schedule

my university tell me there is some change to my study schedule or plan, the course will end earlier than planned or scheduled, and our international student visa advisor said, this might change my visa status, the visa might will be curtailed earlier than it originally be. In another word the current visa will be no more valid due to the study plan changed. but how can i find out my visa status changed? my university's international student visa advisor office didn't inform me that my visa status changed or not? ukba didn't inform me, maybe they don't know my new address? so my question is how to know the current visa's actual status? if my visa is curtailed without informed me, i became an overstayer, what will happen when i go to the airport to go back my home country with overstaying more than 2 or 3 months? will the UKBA officer check my visa status at the airport and take my passport when they find that i overstayed for 2 or 3 months? is there punishment? fine charge or even more severe consequences? thank you!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

The UKBA usually notify you in writing, if not then you may wish to access your records under the freedom of information act which allows you to see what the UKBA hold on your file, there is a fee of £10 payable for the service. You will need to write to the following address, enclosing a cheque:

UK Border Agency
Freedom of Information Act Policy Team
11th Floor
Lunar House, Short Corridor XXXXX
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Please see following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navigation/foi/

If you stay over 28 days after your visa expires, then you will be banned from applying for a UK visa for 12 months.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will i be caught at the airport? is there uk border officer at the airport to check my visa? what if overstay 2 or 3 months? some one said will be detained? i have air flight ticket to go back my home country, to leave uk? what if they detain me? what about my luggage and ticket? dear expert, my flight is 14th August, i don't have enough time to write to UKBA? thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,will i be caught at the airport? is there uk border officer at the airport to check my visa? what if overstay 2 or 3 months? some one said will be detained? i have air flight ticket to go back my home country, to leave uk? what if they detain me? what about my luggage and ticket? dear expert, my flight is 14th August, i don't have enough time to write to UKBA? thank you!
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. You should not worry you will be able to leave the uk without being detain by the ukba on 14th August.

2. If you do not leave on the 14th and overstayed longer and you do not extend your visa then yes you may be detained if caught.

3. You will not have any problems leaving the uk, the ukba are more interested in persons coming in to the UK rather than leaving the uk.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

dear expert, you mean even if my visa has expired 2 or 3 months ago while i don't know that, i still can leave uk on 14th August without being detained? i really worried about this..... thank you!

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Yes.

The reason the ukba would detain someone is to remove them from the uk. If you are already willingly leaving the uk there is no need for the ukba to detain or stop you.

I would be grateful if you could rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
of course, very good, i am much less worried now. but will they take my passport to punish me? thank you !
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Kindly rate my answer positively and I will be happy to answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dear expert, you didn't answer my question' will they take my passport to punish me?' thank you ! of course i will rate.............
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
No they will not they will, let you leave with your passport allowing you to enter your home country.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor