Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Does the spouse of a UK citizen holding an indefinite permission

Does the spouse of a UK citizen holding an indefinite permission to stay need a work permit to take a job in the UK?

The spouse holds "indefinite leave to remain" and this is stamped in their passport.

Correct?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

No, they do not require any work permit or any other kind of permission from the UKBA in order to work.

Indefinite leave to remain means that the person may stay in the UK for as long as they wish and work without restriction – that is the point of ILR, it means there stay in the UK and ability to work is no longer time-limited.

If there is an employer or any other person questioning the person’s right to work then they should be referred to the following UKBA guidance and specifically page 38 “INDEFINITE LEAVE TO ENTER OR REMAIN, OR NO TIME LIMIT ON A PERSON’S STAY IN THE UK” for confirmation:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/preventingillegalworking/currentguidanceandcodes/comprehensiveguidancefeb08.pdf?view=Binary

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom