UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

i have applied for british citizenship on 13th of June 2012.

i have applied for british citizenship on 13th of June 2012. I got the acknowledgement from border agency on 27th June 2012 that they have received my form as well they deducted the necessary fee from my account. I have an indian passport and have ILR but its expiring on 29th of July 2012. Just wondering whether i should apply for my new indian passport or wait for the confirmation on british citizenship and then apply for british passport . Not sure if there would be any problem in processing my application for citizenship after my indian passport expires?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

I would recommend that you wait for a decision on your citizenship application prior to renewing your passport. The UKBA has received your most up to date passport which was not expired at the date of application. There would be absolutely no problem with your application if your passport expires.

Once you have received your passport you may then take your previous passport to the Indian Embassy and they will renew it for you.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my question positively.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for Quick response. I have applied for British Citizenship through NCS service so they returned my passport immediately after taking the photocopies. So i have my original indian passport with me now which is going to expire on 27th July. I am very confident that they will approve my application but am not sure how long it will take for them to make a decision. Do you still suggest to hold the expired passport until they make the final decision particularly if they make the decision after 27th July?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I would suggest that you hold on to the passport and not renew until a decision is made on your application which usually takes around 4 - 8 weeks.

The fact that the decision will be make after 27 July 2012 will not effect your application, as at the time of your application you did have a valid passport.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you, if so kindly rate my question positively.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again. Lets say i have got the approval after 27th July and i need to return my indian passport to indian goverment for getting a british one. Do i need to get the indian passport renewed before i return it back or do they accept the expired passport?
Thank you for your reply.

As long as they have the most up to date passport whether expired or not it will be accepted. There is however, nothing stopping you from renewing your passport if you so desire.

Kind regards