Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I HAVE A FRIEND ADULT LADY WHO WANTS TO VISIT ME IN THE UK

Customer Question

I HAVE A FRIEND ADULT LADY WHO WANTS TO VISIT ME IN THE UK FOR ABOUT A MONTH THE GHANA UK EMBASSY SAYS SHE HAS TO TAKE INTO THE COUNTRY 2500POUNDS IS THI CORRECT OR CAN I SPONSER HER FROM UK
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your question.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow (as I am sure you know), is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations where she resides which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that she is not a risk of overstay because she at present has compelling family and social/work ties to where she lives which mean that she will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst she is visiting. Things like a letter from her employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money she has available, letters from relatives/friends confirming any obligations she has to them.

If you will assist her during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are in a relationship with her you both know that she MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

It is necessary during the application process for her to show the money she has available by showing (at least) three months of bank statements and/other assets income she has. Once the visa has been granted though she does not need to physically carry the the money about her persons. Anyone who says she needs to take £2500 through the airport in Ghana is not correct and potentially a scam

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law
.
and the reality is that he is probably chasing the current tenant in the same way.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom