Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My friend is a half filipina/half british by mixed parents

My friend is a half filipina/half british by mixed parents , although born in the philippines herself, she now holds dual citizenship (uk and Philippines).

If she has a child born in the philippines to a filipino citizen (not Uk) will the child automatically be entitled to be a Uk citizen albeit born overseas due to the mother being Uk citizen?

Thanks for your question.

Because she was herself born outside the UK she has UK citizenship by descent. This means that she cannot pass citizenship to such of her children born outside the UK unfortunately, if the father is not a UK citizen by birth (ie. not by descent).

If she has not lived in the UK for three years AND one of her parents was a UK citizen otherwise than by descent (ie. by birth) then she would have to move to the UK and live her with the child for a period of three years in order to then apply to register the child as a UK citizen. This would be under s3(5) of the British Nationality Act:-

If she does not do this then the child will not be eligible for UK citizenship I’m afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,